What the heck is Froctober, I hear you asking?
Well, it’s an excuse for me to break out a vintage or handmade dress every day for a fabulous cause – a win/win in my book!
Each October, ladies (and gents, too, if you’re so inclined!) can don a frock to raise money to help the development of an early detection test for Ovarian Cancer.
From the Frocktober website:
According to the Ovarian Cancer Research Foundation (OCRF), “one woman dies every ten hours from ovarian cancer in Australia.”
For many women with ovarian cancer, the disease is already well advanced when they are first diagnosed.
Unfortunately, there is currently no screening test for ovarian cancer.
Frocktober aims to help improve the outlook for women with ovarian cancer by supporting the quest for a suitable early detection test through fundraising for the Ovarian Cancer Research Foundation.
This is my first Frocktober, and I’m super-excited to be taking part!
So, what am I going to do to rock the frock?
I have a couple of pledges for Frocktober:
- Each day I will don a vintage or handmade dress, take a photo, and blog about it here on Epheriell Designs. Considering I’m travelling to Melbourne and Canberra to attend the Problogger Training Day AND attending one of my bestie’s weddings, it’s going to be a frocktabulous month, and I might even be able to drag some other ladies into the fray!
- I am going to sew my very first dress!!! Yes, I am very, very excited about this – and terrified, too! I have the perfect pattern, the perfect fabric – and it’s one of my goals for 2011. This is just the kick in the skirt that I need to get it done!
- At the end of the month I’m going to auction off one of my vintage dress collection, and all the money raised will go into my pledge fund!
It’s going to be fun month!
How can you help?
- Head on over to my pledge page and donate a little moulah to help me reach my goal of $500 raised! You’ll see my little pledge widget over there in the sidebar during all of October.
- Do you own a vintage/handmade boutique? Have a dress you’d like to donate or lend me for the month? I’d love to rock one of your frocks, help spread the word about your shop, and raise money for charity all in one big wonderful mushy win/win/win moment of goodness. Get in touch (jessica AT epherielldesigns.com)
- P.S. this also goes for anyone else out there who would just like to donate a dress for me to wear – it’s just gotta be vintage or handmade
- Spread the word about Frocktober by linking back to this post, as well as sharing it with your social media friends!
Are you excited? I am! Squee!!!